Saturday, June 18, 2011

Step one - Check!

I did it!  I actually went and requested my credit report.  Though I had a feeling this was going to be an ominous task, it was so easy I think my dog could have done it ;)

For those trying to get out of debt, here is how you do it:

  1. Go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com
  2. Type in requested information
  3. Choose from 3 credit report agencies (one to all).  In the interest of ensuring some form of inter-rater reliability I chose to get two reports.  You get one free report a year, or is it two? Not sure, but either way, I left one unused as a safeguard in case something should happen within a year that would require me to get a credit report.
  4. Then follow the incredibly easy process of verifying your identity based on their records.
You IMMEDIATELY get access to your credit history and go from there.  At this point you will either break out in tears or be delighted at what it says.  I have not looked for fear that the former will be the case, opting to save the results as a pdf for later viewing...like when I have had a bottle of something bubbly and alcoholic!

Where do I go from here?

Well, the answer according to the interweb is that I cancel unnecessary cards (or just destroy the tangible version...silly internet assuming that people do not memorize credit card numbers) and consolidate to the lowest interest card.  It breaks my heart to think of my precious hello kitty card getting defiled by some lousy pair of scissors...but it must be done.  That, or perhaps something else....I must ruminate on this and decide if the death of certain cards is an unavoidable casualty.