Friday, June 17, 2011

Day One: The Day of Reckoning

I feel like I was tricked at a young age.  I blame Monopoly, that's right, I said (wrote) Monopoly.  Sure it is a fun game, purchasing properties and acting like a real estate tycoon.  Fun, that is until it instills poor values.  It teaches overspending.  When you run out of money, you and your fancy top-hat game piece can go right to the bank and borrow some cash.  Stupid monopoly!  It ruined me!!!!   

Have you ever had one of those moments when some previously elusive aspect of your life suddenly becomes clear?  Well, today I had an epiphany.  Before, I used to laugh off the countless comments about my "shopping addiction."  As I received the fifth box this week from Ebay, I had to admit it to myself -- I have a problem.   It started out harmless enough...a shirt here, a pair of boots (or five) there.  Perhaps this would be okay, if my bank account balance was... shall we just say positive.  Suddenly, I think it has taken a turn for the worst.  Rather than succumb to the ever spiraling addiction, to the firm hold that shopping has on my heart and soul, I am embarking on a journey.  I am going to challenge myself (literally) and in the process get out of debt before the bill collector comes knocking on my door.

Why a challenge you ask?  Because I need a modicum of accountability.  I need something concrete to remind myself that, contrary to what I have been telling myself(what harm has paper ever done (other than kicking ass against rock and that terrible cutting problem)?), the paper statement that comes every month is a REAL concern.

I am going to give myself a few rules:

1.  I have never believed in jumping in feet first...because why just jump in the pool if you don't know the temperature?  You have to dip your feet in before you take that leap.  Instead of going cold turkey and probably making a huge addition to my credit card balance, I will start by adhering to a budget.  Currently the budget is...too high...embarassingly high considering what I make a month.  But that is all over now, lets just forget about the past and live in the present!  The new, and might I add first ever budget will be four hundred dollars a month.  That's right - four hundred dollars, one thousand six hundred quarters, or a small person's weight in pennies.  And we are not talking just clothes and shoes, oh no!  This needs to be the all-inclusive budget.  This is the magazines, shoes, drinks, and generally anything that catches my attention out of the corner of my eye budget.  Four hundred a month to spend on things that do not have a creditor associated with delinquency on one's payment.

2.  With the leftovers do two things: (a) Take 3/4 to pay off various debts and (b) put the remaining 1/4 and deposit these funds in a ... that thing I have not had for years ... what's it called again ... wish I already had one ... oh yeah!  A SAVINGS ACCOUNT!  We shall see if this happens.  This may not be feasible, but if you are going to dream, why not dream big!!

3.  Perhaps seek some sort of counseling.  I like the sound of joining the DA more so for the acronym than what it actually is... I suppose it will be okay to start this journey with a simple admission: This is going to be difficult facing my demons.

That is it for now.  Simple enough, right?  Spend less, save more, treat the underlying cause while simultaneously addressing the symptoms.


This is day one of my shopaholic intervention -